Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Friday, July 19, 2013

You Are Great


You Are Great

The heads of states, the leaders of nations, the captains of industry, the pioneers of science, the scholars and artists, even the religious luminaries,  these are persons we look up to as having accomplished great and earthshaking things.

This thought came to mind, one day, while I was talking to a friend who is fairly a successful man. Most would trade places with him, but over cups of coffee, he poured out his feelings. He felt, he hadn’t accomplished anything yet, of great significance.

I believe he was looking for the real meaning of his life’s work. He felt he could have been a greater person.  I asked him if he wanted to know who might be the ideal  person I consider great in my own eyes. He said he couldn’t be more curious.

I told him she’s no other than my wife, who is a full time housewife, mother, lover, and caregiver. This shook him a little bit.

I should confess I had far greater ambitions like my friend does. Becoming a Christian has changed my perspective. One need not do earthshaking things to find meaning in one’s life. There is meaning in doing the work which God has entrusted to us, in areas we find ourselves. Whether you are running a household with romping kids, or managing a corporation, or debating in Congress, or evangelizing the lost, God is accomplishing far greater things through you, than you can ever imagine.

The great Apostle Paul in his Letters to the Colossians reminds us: Whatever you do, work at it wholeheartedly as though you were doing it for the Lord and not merely for people.” (Colossians 3:23).

The iconic leader of the Afro-American civil rights movement, the late clergyman Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., once said, “Anyone can be great, because anyone can serve.”

To my friend, man, you are great. Cheer up!

No comments:

Post a Comment