Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Friday, July 6, 2012

THE CONTENTED FISHERMAN


THE CONTENTED FISHERMAN

Anthony de Mello wrote of the conversation between a rich man and a fisherman.

One lazy day the rich man found the fisherman lying beside his boat smoking a pipe.

The rich man was horrified. “Why aren’t you out fishing?” the rich man asked.

“Because I have caught enough fish for the day,” the fisherman answered.

“Why don’t you catch some more?” the rich man demanded.

“What would I do with it?” replied the fisherman.

“Earn more money. Then you could have a motor fixed to your boat and go into deeper waters and catch more fish. That would bring you money to buy nylon nets, so more fish, more money. Soon you would have enough to buy two boats... even a fleet of boats. Then you could be rich like me,” explained the rich man.

“What would I do then?”  asked, the fisherman.

“Then you could really enjoy life,” the rich man asserted.

“What do you think I am doing now?” said the fisherman.

The rich man fell silent and shook his head.  Did he get the lesson?

In the letter of St. Paul to the Philippians the great apostle rejoiced that the Christians in the church at Philippi were concerned for him, particularly his needs. He was very thankful, but he made no demands from them.

This Saint of Christ wrote, “I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me. Indeed you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.”(Philippians 4:10-13)

True contentment cannot come from endless striving and struggling to have more. In the story, the rich man believed that contentment could only come from prosperity. But many,  who live prosperous lives have great difficulty in striving for contentment. The more plenty they have the more they want more of it. 

St. Paul said he has learned the secret of being content. Most people are looking for it in different places but they could not find it, because it is a secret hidden from the carnal mind.

Contentment does not depend upon circumstances. St. Paul learned the secret because he knew how to be contented, whether he had plenty or none, and was able to rejoice in every situation. For St. Paul the secret of contentment is to be fully surrendered to the will and purpose of God, so he could rest easy regardless of the state he was in.  This is only possible, said the saint, through Christ who gives him strength.


 (Photo from Wikimedia commons)

No comments:

Post a Comment