Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Tuesday, April 7, 2020

STARS AND SERVANTS


STARS AND SERVANTS

It amazes me that great ideas come out from friends who post their thoughts and feelings in the social media platform. One said that after this COVID 19 crisis is over he vowed not idolize anymore movie stars, celebrities, singers, actors and actresses, even politicians, because he realized the real heroes in our society are the doctors, nurses, medical professionals, social workers, scientists and health care workers whose courage, dedication, and sacrifices are worth emulating.
 
This got me to thinking of something I read a long time ago, and the memory clicked. I rummaged through my books and there it was, Philip Yancey’s best seller.

Philip Yancey was a successful journalist who became a Christian.  In his book titled “Where Is God When It Hurts” he has this remarkable observation:

“In my career as a Journalist I have interviewed diverse people. Looking back I can roughly divide them into two types: Stars and Servants. The Stars include sporting heroes, film actors, music performers, famous authors, TV personalities and the like. In my limited experience these ‘idols’ are as miserable group of people as I have ever met. Most have troubled or broken marriage. Nearly all are hopelessly dependent on psychotherapy. In a heavy irony these larger than life heroes seem tormented by incurable doubt.

I have also spent time with Servants. People like Dr. Paul Brand who worked for twenty years among the poorest of the poor, leprosy patients in rural India. Or relief workers in Somalia, Sudan, Ethiopia, Bangladesh or other such repositories of human suffering. I was prepared to honor and admire these servants, to hold them up as shining examples. I was not however prepared to envy them.

But as I now reflect on the two groups side by side, Stars and Servants, the servants clearly emerge the favored ones. They work for low pay, long hours and no applause ‘wasting’ their talents and skills among the poor and uneducated. But somehow in the process of losing their lives, they have found them.”

This cuts right through the heart of the matter. The Lord Jesus Christ said, “For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.” (Matthew 16:25)  This is only one of the great paradoxes of the Christian faith.

The challenging statement is this: as we “waste” our lives on other people, for the sake of Christ, we will find life and all of its fullness.

We shall overcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment