Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Thursday, December 16, 2010

SITTING STILL

SITTING STILL

The great French Philosopher Mathematician Blaise Pascal said, "Nearly all the ills of life spring from this simple source,  that we are unable to sit still for long in a quiet room."

My teenage son used to chide me that I am an obsessive compulsive because he has lived with my compulsivity all his life, an opinion shared by his mother. I haven’t seen a shrink to confirm this diagnosis but I admit I’ve been plagued by extreme anxiety, worry, and fear which is easily discernible in my often agitated state of uneasiness that I couldn’t stay still. I pace the floor, I sit and stand, I  go in and out. The tension mounts as my foreboding thoughts bring me to places of every imaginable doom.  

Pascal’s sharp observation that most of the ills of man spring from his restlessness is an accurate picture of mankind in this so called age of anxiety.

The inhabitants of this world are all in hurry. People are oppressed by deadlines, they move fast, drive fast, eat fast, walk fast, talk fast, sleep late, take a quickie, wake up early and repeat the same cycle. In this age of cyberspace, speed is measured in mbps, and busyness or the appearance of being busy, is a status symbol.

So when I finally resolved to deal with my so called disorder by seriously looking into the real cause of this malady I was led to the bitter truth: I lacked FAITH. I’ve been striving to be in control of the circumstances of  my life, which sadly is beyond my powers.

Psalmist of old declared:   

Be still, and know that I am God ..."  (Psalm 46:10)

God our Creator is telling us  be still, be quiet, I am God your Maker,  in my presence there is peace.  The great Blaise Pascal was probably speaking of his own experience. He described this restlessness as a great void in man’s soul that only Christ could fill.

The great Prophet Isaiah declared, “ In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust shall  be your strength.” (Isaiah 30:15)

To be still is to prepare the soul to commune with God,  to be filled with the Spirit, to be  overshadowed by His awesome presence that every mundane thing or preoccupations of  the flesh pales in utter insignificance. To be still is to let go of SELF, to release every doubt, fear, or worry and rest upon HIM who promised, “ I will never leave you nor forsake you.” (Hebrews 13:5)


No comments:

Post a Comment