Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Monday, December 27, 2010

MOTHER’S FINE CHINA

MOTHER’S FINE CHINA
I remember my mother who guarded, and kept off limits her collection of Fine China, only to be used on special occasions or when an important guest would come to dine at home. Of course she alone decided which special occasion or who was important, enough, to merit the grand appearance of her shiny porcelain dinner plates, serving bowls,  tea cups, saucers, coffee pot, salad plates and sugar bowl, all of matching patterns, on our old table. She would put them out and set the table with great ceremony.  
Our ordinary daily fare only deserved the use of cheap commercial table wares. One day I asked her why I couldn’t use her Fine China. She said they are far more beautiful, elegant and expensive, for my crude table manners and irreverent taste.  I don’t blame her. As long as they serve the purpose, platters and cups regardless of quality, don’t mean much to me.
My mother has long gone. I imagine her sitting poised in the great massive banquet table, laden with golden vessels   where all believers dine with the Lord. She left me a lasting impression with her fine china, as I pondered on the words of St. Paul to Timothy the second letter, and the second chapter which says: “ But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver but also of wood and of earth; and some to honor and some to dishonor. If a man therefore purge himself  from  these he shall  be a vessel unto honor, sanctified and meet for the Master’s use and prepared unto very good work.”(2 Timothy 2:20-21)
It became clear, after all these years, what mother really meant when she forbid me to use her Fine China. I did not have the right heart of using her priceless vessels,  with honor,  as perhaps she knew I would treat them with dishonor. The same is true with one’s life. St. Paul says that unless we are clean and pure in the sight of God we cannot be effective servants. Whether we are made of Fine China or of cheap earthen ware the outward and inward attitude of our lives should reflect the holiness of God.  The Shepherd King David asked, “Who may ascend the hill of the Lord? Who may stand in His holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart…”(Psalm 24:3-4)      
   

No comments:

Post a Comment