Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Saturday, January 1, 2011

THE MESSAGE I HEAR ON NEW YEAR’S DAY

THE MESSAGE I HEAR ON NEW YEAR’S DAY
I belong to a Christian Congregation which has established the rather unusual tradition of holding worship services, on the first day of the first month of the New Year.  It is very difficult  to gather as much worshippers on this particular day, because people are still reeling from the depressive mood of post New Year celebration,  of merry making,  noise making, and over-eating, that they aren’t predisposed to be particularly spiritual or religious. My Spiritual Counselor, though, has been hammering the point that there can be no better way to start the New Year right, than going to church to worship the True and Living God.  After all, he said, there are no other Christian Churches, except ours, which hold services on New Year’s Day.  He further adds, in an effort to dissuade me from putting up excuses, that  the Pastor of the flock is not expected to vacillate from his desire to deliver  his brand new,  New Year’s Message even if he has to preach to the empty pews. 
I turn to my wife for relief but before I can say anything, she plainly turns me down, saying that both my Spiritual Counselor and the Pastor of the flock are right, and she considers the matter closed, without further argument, so off we  go.  I can’t argue with my wife.
As expected there are a handful of parishioners in attendance. I sit sleepy, in the front pew, seemingly solemn, listening to the sermon which lulls me to sleep.    My drowsiness dissipates when from the familiar droning of the Preacher,  his voice rises to a crescendo saying, “ Embrace the uncertainties in life with the assurance of God’s promises,  for in this new year  this might be your last ! ”
This exhortation strikes like laser beam that shakes me awake. This reminds to thank God that I am still around listening to this New Year’s message.  As I reflect on the events which happened in my life in the year that was, truly God’s compassions never fail. They are new everyday and His faithfulness endures forever. I only survive and weather the unpredictable storms of life, which at times, come in waves,  and  scale the walls of adversities, danger, and afflictions, which I think are impossible to surmount,  solely by the Grace and Mercy of God our Creator. In my weakness and lack of faith, my Lord and Savior is faithful all these past years.  Whenever the pride of self-sufficiency creeps up  His Word often reminds me  not to rely upon myself,  but to trust Him, for He promised,  “ I will never leave you nor forsake you” (Hebrew 13:5).  He is our refuge and strength, a very present help in times of trouble. (Psalm 46:1).  Life indeed is uncertain.  We need to embrace the uncertainties of life with the calm assurance that though we fall, underneath are the Everlasting Arms. (Deut. 33:27)
On this first day of the year, I hope to sleep soundly, without fear and hope to wake again on the second day, sustained only by His grace and loving-kindness.



No comments:

Post a Comment