Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Sunday, September 18, 2011

THE MONDAY MORNING BLUES

THE MONDAY MORNING BLUES
The Monday morning blues usually afflict more and more workers as they get back to work from a weekend of rest.
 I have been suffering from this malaise for a number of years that one day I asked myself why I am in this kind of rut.  I would like to find meaning in the usual crap that I do that quite often I simply hate to go to the office, my office, which is not really mine but that of my employer.
At one time the Sunday before the dreaded Monday the subject of the sermon in Church struck my heart for the Preacher was expounding on how blessed a person could be when he is gainfully employed, especially, in times when people  struggle at the prospects of  unemployment.   I pondered deeply at the thought of how indeed one is truly blessed for having and holding a job which God’s Hand has provided.
Is there meaning in work . Is there meaning in mopping the floor which the utility man I meet every day does, or in managing a corporation,  which the haggard and ulcerated CEO does, or in running a troublesome government bureaucracy, which a highly pressured functionary does?
In our day of rapid social change, many despise their jobs as they see no meaning in the mundane tasks. It is only when one understands the meaning of work as God designed and meant it to be that the Monday morning blues could be driven away.
God’s Word teaches us that in our secular jobs our real master is not actually the human employer for whom we work but God Himself so we work not to please men but our Creator and Maker. And since our ordinary work belongs to God we make the delightful discovery that we serve our  Master and Heavenly Employer. It is because these earthly enterprises where we devote ourselves to do, belong to God, that  we can be obedient to those who are our earthly masters as to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
St. Paul in his letter to the Ephesians, Chapter 6: 7, declared:” Serve wholeheartedly as if you were serving the Lord, not men, because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he is a slave or free.”   Furthermore Paul exhorts us to obey our earthly masters not only to win their favor when their eyes are on us but like slaves of Christ doing the will of God from our hearts.
When the Monday morning blues strike, it is refreshing to remind myself that this is another day that my Heavenly Father has made for me so I could humbly serve Him.   

No comments:

Post a Comment