Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Friday, September 2, 2011

NEED CENTERED PRAYER

NEED CENTERED PRAYER

One of the things lacking in Christian churches today is silent meditation. Believers spend so much time speaking to God in prayer that they never listen to God in return.

There is so much God would reveal to us if only we would slow down long enough to hear His voice.

He said Be still and know Me.

Many of our prayers are like shopping lists of things. After reciting the lists to God we walk away not pausing in silence to hear God’s reply.    It is a sad commentary that professing Christians project a relationship with God which is need-centered rather than God-centered. We are overwhelmed by our physical needs that we often pray, “God please do this for me and do it soon, amen.  Worst we doubt if God would really respond to our prayer list.

In a way this is what St. James is describing when he spoke of the doubter.

God said, “Be still and know that I am God.”

The doubter is one who is never still. He is like being tossed by the waves. He is shaken by his troubles and dashed about like a boat in a stormy sea. He is overwhelmed and agitated that his prayers are drowned out by the strong wind and waves of adversity that he could not remain still to discern and listen to the voice of God who speaks in the midst of the storm.


1 comment:

  1. This is indeed a reality among believers who keep on praying to God, but never take time to hear or listen to the still small voice coming from the Lord. As long as they pour out their request, or even their demands from the Lord, that's all folks! It did happen to me one occasion. I prayed then said amen hurriedly without confirming whether God listens, attests, or denies my supplication. I finished praying as if nothing happens, as if I have not prayed at all.

    ReplyDelete