Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

GOD WILL SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT
When I went to worship last Sunday, the first person who greeted me at the gates was my friend a young Minister of the Gospel  whose life is a living example of unwavering faith.
My friend has been ailing for years. His doctors have pronounced that he wouldn’t last long, and yet, he’s still around. Every now and then he would be admitted to the Hospital, uncertain if he would ever survive but by God’s Grace and loving kindness, he  would  check out, come back and  return  to his ministry. 
He has no doubt that he survives only by the mercy of an all powerful  God whom he humbly serves . As I looked at him and clasped his hand, he radiated so much joy and peace which was infectious, that even the cares and anxieties which weighed me down had vanished, bringing lightness to my soul. 
This simple man of God is a personal  inspiration to me.  He is a living testimony that God’s strength is made perfect in weakness. Beneath his frail body is the inner strength which sustains him to unconditionally trust and  obey our Lord Jesus Christ, our Healer and Comforter.   
As I reflect on the life of this man, I cannot help but join in the chorus of questioning minds, why a righteous servant of God would be allowed to suffer terrible infirmity, while around him  the ungodly, the wicked and the corrupt live in comfort and are surrounded by public admiration.
The ancient Prophet  Jeremiah asked the same age old question :
     Righteous are You, O Lord, when I plead with You; yet let me talk with You about Your judgments. Why does the way of the wicked prosper? Why are those happy who deal so treacherously?” (Jer. 12:1)   
The Psalmist Asaph,  was similarly  insightful in his observation :
The Psalmist Asaph was saying that as he looked around him he saw the ungodly and the wicked don’t seem to suffer, they have abundance, live easy,  don’t seem to struggle and are not afflicted. Worst, the result of their prosperity did not make them any more thankful to God for on the contrary their prosperity caused them to be proud, arrogant,  self sufficient and haughty  that they felt no need for God  rejecting His existence.
But at the end of his musings the Psalmist was given discernment and understanding.  Beyond the artificial self sufficiency of the wicked, God has set them up in slippery places that they will fall into ruin. Even though they seem to have made it in this world,  they will be utterly swept away.
    
Asaph, by stroke of insight when he went to the  sanctuary of God, went on  to declare :

Seeing this weak and infirm friend whose only taste of luxury is to be the recipient of God’s mercy and grace, yes indeed I am inspired and  strengthened by the resolve of this righteous man.  One day God will set the record straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment