Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

MY BUSY BUDDY


MY BUSY BUDDY

Friends usually ask me how busy my life is. I tell them I’m not busy, on the contrary, I have all the time in the world for the simple and ordinary things I want to do. I tell them I don’t pretend to be busy as some do.  I don’t use as an excuse busyness or lack of time, to decline an invitation, I do not act busy to look busy. Busyness is not a badge of honor for me.

Studies show that the higher the standard of living, the busier the lifestyle. Busyness projects an image of success and self-importance. Even when in reality one is only busy for being busy, a lot of people are impressed.      

So when I tell my friends I’m having it easy, my response surprises them. I tell them it’s really that simple. I live at the moment, following the advise of my old buddy, who doesn’t have the slightest care in his life even if he lives in penury. He says busy hard driven people appear to enjoy the pleasures of their worldly wealth and success, but actually they may have all the pleasures but hardly experience the joy..

How this impertinent philosophy infected me, is the result of my buddy’s regular visits to my office, telling me, “How about you drop all the shit you’re doing, right now and treat me for a cup of coffee?”

I can’t understand how he does it, rubbing me the right way, that he always persuades me to drop what he describes as the “shit” I’m working on,  and give him his coffee treat, with sweet donuts on the side. In exchange he uses my time telling me stories, gossips and jokes, which makes my day. Becoming my buddy’s disciple in the benighted brotherhood of the idle did not take long. I have learned since to deal with my worldly and mundane preoccupations as they come one moment at a time and finishing them off without hurrying one moment at a time. This, to my satisfaction, gives me some extra time to condescend to the level of my idle brothers, enjoying their company as they just live in the present moment,  each day will bring.     

Photo by :tangerinetravel.com


No comments:

Post a Comment