Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Sunday, November 11, 2012

WHEN TIMES WERE SLOW


WHEN TIMES WERE SLOW


I wish I could return to the time when life was slow, simple, and quiet, where I spent my youth in the farm. There was no electricity. Gas lamps lighted the house. Eating a meal needed time of waiting for cooking. Cooking was done  in a stone stove using firewood as fuel. No cold drinks but there was spring water held and chilled in earthen jars or  the “banga.”  No refrigerator, but only the “platera” (food cabinet) where  food was covered and kept. Television was unthinkable, though we had transistor radio, around which,  the family members gathered  listening to soap box drama.  

There were nights when I    sit by the window gazing in the dark watching the beautiful fireflies playing in the dark night air, their twinkling  lights  a wonder to behold.  

Deadlines and hurried appointments were virtually non-existent. Only times of planting and harvest, sowing and reaping,  and waiting in between. I don’t recall we ever had a clock on the wall. The radio announcer  was the time keeper.

I wish I could go back. I am now approaching seniority, and those days would only remain a memory. I now live in a time of quick, fast, fixes.  Ordering  a meal now is fast though   complicated with all the different  choices and combinations of rich, junk food  pushed into our faces, selecting one confounds the mind.  Everything is fast and quick.  We have gadgets which work fast.  Everyone is in a hurry, and busy racing against deadlines, appointments, catching up with social functions and meetings. The cellphones, I-pads, I-phones, and computers are the modern day marvels creating a fast moving world which abhors slackness, or slowness. 

No one wants to wait, and everyone complains if made to wait, more so when the internet    connection is slow. We expect instant gratification and immediate results. We do not know how to wait anymore. Tempers are quick to flare up in long lines. The discipline of waiting is a lost virtue. 

God did not intend us to  live this way. God appointed times and seasons and it is not our business to hasten what He has established. 

No comments:

Post a Comment