Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Thursday, February 7, 2013

STRESS JUNKIE


My wife tells me that her friend wanted to see me about a problem. Then another friend comes along who has another problem. While doing some groceries an acquaintance stops me and shares his problem. I am far too civil to shut down these impositions, but a mild rebuke telling them I'm not in the free legal aid business is almost tempting.

But it is not in my form to be rude, so I bear them all, forcing a smile. In times like this I wish I could shed off my thick lawyer's hide like a molting snake would, so I could just be myself, be left alone, without having to deal with someone else's problem.

The worst thing is, once you wrestle with the problem, there is the pressure of having all the answers to every problem. This is stressful. I don't have all the answers.

Psychologists describe this as the God-complex. The desire to be in control. You begin to like the feeling, the elation of untangling other people's mess becomes a challenge. So you keep on doing it anyway, even if you don't like it. You become a stress junkie.

"Relax, man", says my friend, the intellectual bum. "You are not God, you know."

No comments:

Post a Comment