Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Thursday, February 28, 2013

THE WIDE BELIEVING EYES OF A CHILD


THE WIDE BELIEVING EYES OF A CHILD

My friend an intellectual and academic, asks me why I profess to be a Christian, knowing that we used to be rabid skeptics during our college days. I gave him a straight, simple answer.

I told him my conversion was providential. One day I said to myself if I were to remain a skeptic, then I had to be honest in my skepticism. So I got down to read Christianity’s Scripture, not with a critical mind, but to know really what it has to say to me. So I came to the saving grace of Christ, not as a learned man, of which I could not perfectly say I am, but as a child.

The most amazing message that Jesus said, struck me, cutting me down to size. The Savior said, “I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." (Mark 10:15)

Then He continued to say, "I tell you the truth, unless you turn from your sins and become like little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven.”(Matthew 18:3). “Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven”(Matthew 18:4)

I realized I am a sinner, no doubt about it. And the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23). The best things I will ever attain, or hope to attain, or the best of whatever good I will do or hope to do, cannot impress the Living God, who created everything and  before whom all of us, at the appointed time will stand.

And this is where I part company with some of my friends, who believe that as long as they live good upright and moral lives, as long as their good deeds outweigh the bad, they are right with God.

The problem is no one is good enough. I believe that while there is some innate goodness in man, Scripture declares that man has fallen into sin, and this sin nature, separated him from God. The Bible declares that all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.(Romans 3:23) For there is  no one  righteous, not even one.(Romans 3:10).

Even the best of us and the most upright of men cannot stand before the awesome presence of the Almighty God and claim that he deserves to enter God’s Kingdom, or deserves God’s favor, solely upon his own personal merit.  I also realized I cannot approach God on my own terms. Having rejected God at some point in my life,  did not give me any real peace, or joy, at all, but restlessness and turmoil, for I was looking for Him in the wrong places.

I came to the point of understanding that man’s salvation is by grace through faith, not of himself, it is a gift of God, and not of man’s works, so that no one can boast. The gift of God is eternal life in Jesus Christ, our Lord (Romans 6:23).

This conviction led me to embrace the Christ, of the Christians. For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive by the Spirit. (1 Peter 3:18). This is the living hope of all Christians. Hope that if they die in Christ, they too will live with Him.

Conversion is becoming like a child. Children do not put on airs of pride and arrogance. They do not desire power or authority, they do not make harsh judgments, are free from malice, teachable, trusting, utterly dependent, and weak. A childlike faith is simple, simple enough to understand.

In their book, Wrestling Prayer, Christian authors Eric and Leslie Ludy, aptly said, “So, if you are an intellectual who thinks himself smarter than the Word of God, I hope my unwavering confidence in the Bible doesn't prove a stumbling block but rather an inspiration as you keep reading. For what we are about to enter into is sacred territory that can be apprehended only through the wide, believing eyes of a little child. This divine terrain holds untold blessings in its bosom; however, those blessings will be gleaned only by those who rise up and claim them with the unabashed faith of a five-year-old.”

God Bless you my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment