Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Friday, April 19, 2013


THE POLITICIAN

In a social gathering I attended a guest asked me what I do for a living. This question often makes me uncomfortable, and could be embarrassing , though, I am prone pose the same question to strangers with whom I might have the chance to be with.

In our society we are characterized by what we do. So one is expected to answer that he’s a medical doctor, a Professor, an Engineer, or a business executive.

But the embarrassment comes when one doesn’t belong to any particular profession like a housewife. Well, housekeeping  might be viewed by some as lowly, but most housewives, including mine, would vehemently object. All the more the question makes you squirm when you don’t do anything significant, like my friend who in response, would say he’s a freelance all around handy man with nothing better to do, but look for trouble.

In one  movie I saw many years ago, the actor Billy Dee Wiliams who played the character of a cop, was asked by a woman seated with him on a plane what he did for a living. Williams’ reply was a classic. He said “Killing people”.

The prevailing standard is we are what we do. So one time I asked the homeless beggar in the corner what does he do. He’s answer was equally a classic. He said he’s a politician. 

No comments:

Post a Comment