Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Saturday, April 6, 2013

ANOTHER CONVERSATION WITH THE DRUNKEN MASTER


ANOTHER CONVERSATION WITH THE DRUNKEN MASTER

It’s been months since I visited the drunken Master in his secret shelter, littered with empty wine bottles. I saw he was sober. He didn’t bother to greet me but maintained the oppressive  silence, between us.

I am amazed that he could remain motionless for hours.

Then he spoke.

Drunken Master: “I suppose you have gotten out of the circle to visit me.”

Me: “In a manner of speaking, yes I just did.”

Drunken Master: “And which circle is that?”

Me: “The time-table”.

Drunken Master: “How do you feel about getting out from this circle.”

Me: “Still hurried and anxious about a lot of things.”

Drunken Master: “Then you still remain, and hadn’t really gotten out.”

Me:  “Maybe.”

Drunken Master: “You live in a complex world, full of human inventions and your life is bound to follow the devices   you created. You  place yourself in a circle to obey  the time table you or one like you had set, and the cycle goes on and on.”  

Me: “Exactly. What do you suggest?”

Drunken Master: “Do not allow the circle of time to make things happen. Take it by the horns and control it where you want to lead it. In this way you make things happen.”

Me:  “Thank you, I didn’t see it the way you do. This is now an occasion to drink from the cup of the wise.”

Drunken Master: “Before you drink from the cup of the wise, let me explain something. Did you know that the Greeks have two words for ‘Time’? One is Chronos represented by a monster who eats his own children. It means measured time, clock time, time that slips away. The other is Kairos, represented by a human face. It is the time we make and the time we take.  Now, since you have asked me for a drink, a request I couldn’t refuse, by all means let’s do it the Kairos way.  Toast!”  

No comments:

Post a Comment