Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Monday, June 6, 2022

THE OLD WARRIOR

 

THE OLD WARRIOR

 

Caleb, the mighty and brave warrior of the Israelites was forty years old when Moses sent him on a mission along with Joshua and ten other operatives. Their mission was to spy on the land which the Lord had promised to give them. They were amazed how fertile and rich the land was. It was literally a land flowing with milk and honey. But there was one thing they discovered in their tactical scouting. The land was inhabited by what they described as giants, big, tall, strong men.

When they returned to Moses to give their intelligence report ten of the spies gave a discouraging report. They lost their nerve. They told Moses that they were up against giants should they come and invade the land and they believe they were no match. Caleb and Joshua, on the other hand, had a different view of the situation. Their hearts did not melt by the disconcerting report of their companions. Caleb said, “I followed the Lord my God wholeheartedly”. He and Joshua completely trusted the Lord and Caleb was very sure, with God’s help and promise,  they would be able to take the land. That was how positive and sure Caleb was, because he had more than enough faith.

So Moses, even before they could capture the land, already made a vow and promise to Caleb that the land on which his feet would walk on would be his inheritance and that of his children. And so after years of struggle and fighting they finally entered the land of promise. And it was now time for him to claim the inheritance promised to him by the great leader Moses who had already died, and succeeded by Joshua.

This is what Caleb the great and brave soldier said to Joshua, the new leader of Israel:

“So here I am today, eighty five years old! I am still strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I’m just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then. Now give me this hill country that the Lord promised me that day. You yourself heard then that the Anakites were there and their cities were large and fortified, but the Lord helping me, I will drive them out just as he said.” (Joshua 14:10-12)

What a man! Eighty five years old. What an amazing old man.

I’m an old man now. In my old age, I keep dreaming I would be like him. A ferocious and strong old, brave warrior, a man of unwavering faith in God, fighting life’s battles and taking what was promised to him.  

-RAY ALAN T. DRILON

No comments:

Post a Comment