Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Growing Up


Having grown up as a child in the late fifties on to the sixties, the children of my generation didn't have electronic toys or computer games. Playing was more active and physical, of games with inviolable rules. Winning required skills, stamina, cunning, superior use of motor skills, and tactics. But what remains in memory was the amazing imagination which every boy and girl had. All of us boys wanted to be cowboys, and the girls wanted to be queens and princesses. Boys and girls like to play house, playing the role of father, mother and this was where the imagination got interesting because the play would unfold in a spontaneous unscripted childish dialogue. Come to think of it. I still wish to be a cowboy or a hero, but I sure did become a real Dad. I still believe the girls my age now still wish to be queens or princesses, but they did become real moms. These are the things we haven't really outgrown.

No comments:

Post a Comment