Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

WELCOMING THE NEW YEAR

WELCOMING THE NEW YEAR


Going back to the regular routine after the holidays is a torture. The body is sluggish with too much fat, after pigging out on rich food. I read one columnist in a national daily bewailing the Filipino custom of spending too much, eating too much, drinking too much, firing up much noise, all to welcome the coming of the new year,  which he decries as downright impractical.

How this practice came to be I haven’t the foggiest clue. But what I know is I grew up with it, and couldn’t shake it. The most amazing thing is the heavy purchases of food, which would practically empty the shelves of the shops. I hear one lady lining up ahead of me at the counter, complaining the store ran out of ham, eggs, and salad creams.

The wise writer is definitely right in pointing out the frenetic craziness of it all. Many pockets reach the bottom line by this time. 

I wake up first day of the year lousy and weak but drag my butt to catch up with church services. The only consolation is that I dozed off in the middle of the sermon, if not for  the strong incantation of  my pal the youthful Pastor, exhorting the faithful to forget what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, press on toward the goal to win  the prize for which God has called us heavenward (Phil.3:13-14) which should be the attitude of every believer at the onset of the new year.

I like the message but the awful feeling still bugs me, probably the result of eating too much meat and sweets. I realize feeding the flesh too much, doesn’t edify the spirit.  What a lousy way to start the New Year

No comments:

Post a Comment