Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Monday, July 30, 2012

Another Conversation With The Drunken Master


Drunken Master: How long has it been since our last conversation?

Me: Days and weeks, seems a long time.

Master: What have you seen lately?

Me: The usual herd of humanity moving to and fro.

Master: Is that what you see or is that what you think you see?

Me: It’s what I think I see.

Master: Have you visited Henry Wardsworth Longfellow?

Me: You mean the ancient Poet? No I haven’t drank from his old cup since ages.

Master: He had seen what you think you saw.

Me: You mean the meaningless movement of the herd of humanity?

Master: Exactly. Why don’t you look him up.

Me: Would you be kind to give me the long and the short of this fellow’s vision?

Master: Aha, good pun. The long and the short of the fellow’s vision, I
like it. You’re sharp today, what have you imbibed, may I ask?

Me: Nothing beats the good old saint named Miguel.

Master: Well, Longfellow is one of a kind, he was deeply perceptive. He saw that in this teeming sea of humanity most men are like driven cattle living meaningless lives because they go only where others lead them to go not knowing why… so he penned these lines:

“In the world’s broad field of battle, in the bivouac of life, be not like dumb driven cattle, be a hero in the strife…

Lives of great men all remind us, we can make our lives sublime, and departing leave behind us, footprints in the sands of time.

Footprints, that perhaps another, sailing o’er life’s solemn main, a forlorn and shipwrecked brother, seeing, shall take heart again.”

No comments:

Post a Comment