Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Monday, July 2, 2012

Kung Fu Wisdom


Kung Fu Wisdom

I was detained for a couple of days because I got sick in the stomach. I asked my wife to bring a specimen of my waste to the Med Tech, and on to the Doc, so I could be sure if my system was under attack by armies of bacteria.

In my weak state, I forgot about work, office, and deadlines, they did not seem very important. I dozed off  watching  Television, a thing which I haven’t done for some time. I realized I’ve been paying for Cable TV services, but hardly enjoying it.

The film Karate Kid was on HBO. I didn’t know that a remake was made of the original version which I saw many years ago. Now in this new version the aging Jacky Chan plays the Master, in the original I think it was the Japanese American actor Pat Morita who played the role. The Karate  Kid in the remake is Will Smith’s son and the setting is in China. Good film.

The thing I liked most were the nuggets of Kung Fu wisdom we could draw from the dialogue.

In one scene the Master Mr. Han, said, “Being still and doing nothing are two very different things”.

I believed he’s right. I viewed  my sick condition as not doing anything.

It always bothers  me when I’m doing nothing productive. But according to Master Han there is a different way of looking at it. It is simply being still, but not necessarily doing nothing.

I was waiting out to be healed, let my body heal in time and my waiting was an active act of simply waiting, for at the ripe time I would be up again.

And finally, another saying of the Master Han: “Life will knock us down but we can choose whether or not to stand back up. Best fights are the ones we avoid.”

This is one solid punch shaking the spirit of fear and discouragement.



“But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint”.
(Isaiah 40:31)


“And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.” (Mark 4:39)



(Photo from soberingconclusion.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment