Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Friday, August 24, 2012

LESSONS FROM THE MONK AND THE CEO


LESSONS FROM THE MONK AND THE CEO


A story is told of a monk, who one day was visited by a friend, who needed advise about the quarrels which often ensued in his company’s board meetings.
 
The monk brought him to the water-well of the monastery.

As his friend peered down the well, the monk, asked, “What do you see?”

His friend replied “I see the water.”

“Is that all you see?” asked the monk.

“I see my face mirrored in the water.”

“Good, now throw down the pail and draw water,” instructed the monk.

His friend cast the down the pail which hit the water, began to sink as it filled with water, and started pulling up the pail.

As his friend was doing this the monk said, “Now do you still see yourself in the water?”

His friend replied, “No, all I see is the troubled water.”

“There’s your lesson,” the monk said, “better not to stir up things, instead, wait for them to settle down, you will see better and clearer.”

At my age, I have met and observed people who may be considered leaders, heads, chiefs, executives, and decision makers, the ones who make things happen, either in the public, or private sectors, in the academe or among the religious.

I have found that the brightest, finest and ablest of them all, are humble, pleasant, witty, and firmly resolute, but fairly humane. 

I also find them to be the most reflective of all thinkers, which is a very rare quality. They take control of sudden impulsiveness. Some struggle with a superior ego, the cause of being smart, as they wrestle with the demon of arrogance.

These are leaders who look at the facts, after all the clouds, dust and hazy particles have settled down, patiently waiting for  things to clear up. They wait for the murky waters to become clear and see their faces reflected as in a mirror, silently gathering their thoughts, feelings, and experiences to guide them in their decisions. They say what they mean, mean what they say, produce results, and give credit to whom credit is due.

I wish we have more of them, particularly in the government service, which is top heavy of self important bureaucrats.  


No comments:

Post a Comment