Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Friday, August 10, 2012

LOGICAL RECOURSE


LOGICAL RECOURSE

I was a skinny, shy, longhaired, bespectacled, teenager, when I entered university in the seventies. This was the age of the American  hippies and the flower people, whose  get up and free spirit somehow infected the Filipino youth . I was taking courses in Political Science when I first met this girl who was pursuing a Nursing course. 

How I happened to be in a class of nursing students was due to my indolence than anything else. I enrolled late and all the subjects in Logic, were closed, except for a slot in the block section of Nursing students. Thus I found myself the only male student in a class, which smelled  of girls. I don’t know why girls emit a peculiar smell when they are in one enclosed space. Might be the acute primal instinct in a male.

It wasn’t so bad. I had the good fortune of  sitting with a tall pretty girl at the back row. The Professor, fortunately was my Poli-Sci. professor, as well, so we knew each other. He just grinned and let me be as he focused to impress the girls with his logic and erudition.

Now,  studying logic could be very annoying. I asked my seatmate what relevance has this, in the science of caring for people anyway? She said it was required in the curriculum.  Well the course was not only confusing but could be difficult.

Imagine this: 

“All men are mortals, Socrates is a man, therefore, Socrates is mortal.”
“ Some mammals are cows, all humans are mammals, therefore, some men are cows”.
“No man is a pig. God is not a man. Therefore God is a pig.”

I know the girls were having a bit of hard-time in this mental exercise that most had low quizzes. My pretty neighbor was having a hard-time, so the gentleman that I was I promised her she could copy my answers, but not all of it, just so she could pass. So we became friends.

There were times when I missed two class days that when I got back and parked beside my pretty seatmate, she had that forlorn look. I did not know really what was the matter, she had been very quiet. When the bell rang,  she collected her things. I asked if I could walk with her. She nodded. 

When we were alone, she quietly said she failed in the last quiz. So there was a quiz which I missed.  I said I’m sorry, I’d make it up to her next time, but I couldn’t  allow her to cheat all the time. I proposed that she needed tutoring and I’d be willing to do it during free-time. So I did. We would meet up at the library and dissect the syllogisms. 

The semester ended, she passed the subject. She went on to become a Nurse.  She sweetly thanked me, and with a kiss on the cheek, whispered  to guard our secret forever.

What the hell. It happened a very long time ago. So the secret is out.   

(Photo by niyamaklogic.wordpress.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment