Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Thursday, September 29, 2016

WHO WILL INHERIT?



WHO WILL INHERIT?

I hated all my toil in which I toil under the sun, seeing that I must leave it to the man who will come after me, and who knows whether he will be wise or a fool? Yet he will be master of all for which I toiled and used my wisdom under the sun. This is also vanity. So I turned about and gave my heart to despair over all the toil of my labors under the sun, because sometimes a person who has toiled with wisdom and knowledge and skill must leave everything to be enjoyed by someone who did not toil for it. -Ecclesiastes 2:18-21(ESV)

King Solomon described as the Teacher in writing the Book of Ecclesiastes pondered on the subject of wealth, and accumulation of riches, as the primary purpose of man’s toil and striving. After amassing wealth and unsurpassed worldly possessions, he pondered on the certainty of death and the problem of inheritance. He concluded that the wealth one had accumulated or kept as a result of one’s work, knowledge and skill, would only be passed on to another who might be completely undeserving.

“For a man may do his work with wisdom, knowledge and skill and then he must leave all he owns to someone who has not worked for it.” 

This reality terribly bothered the wise king that he expressed despair, waxing philosophical of the meaninglessness of it all.

Like the wise king Solomon observed, many are driven to acquire great wealth only to find them unsatisfying because there is no end to the pursuit, for there doesn’t seem to be enough. When fortunes are made giving them away is intolerable.  

The wise king however hinted that to the one who pleases God is given wisdom, knowledge and joy. The nature of God as the Giver of every good and perfect gift, should teach us that the godly character of giving away worldly wealth, and investing earthly possessions in God’s kingdom might give a rich man like the wise king, fulfillment, satisfaction and inner peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment