Featured Post

MEDITATION

ON MEDITATION There are a few well meaning Christian friends who ask me about my leaning towards eastern philosophy and meditation. I w...

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

BEING SIXTY



BEING SIXTY

By Ray Alan T. Drilon, Senior Citizen



What is "old" exactly? 

I remember an old soldier who said that he may be old but he was still able to cut any adversary down to size. 

I see Liam Nesson playing the role of a retired  and aging operative eliminating an entire criminal syndicate singlehanded, as if age had not caught up with him. 

I wish this boasting could be true, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with accepting the reality that one has grown old. This is inescapable. 

St. Paul has a wonderful way of confronting old age. He said, “Therefore, we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed, day by day.” (2 Corinthians 4:16) 

This is exactly how a child of God feels.  Though he knows he is wasting away, his inner man is being renewed by God.   

A very wise man,  of old, seemingly relegated to the dustbin of classic literature, probably no longer read by the youth of today,  named Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, left an inspiring message. He wrote: 

“Tell me not, in mournful numbers,
Life is but an empty dream!
For the soul is dead that slumbers, 
And things are no what they seem.

Life is real! Life is earnest!
And the grave is not its goal;
Dust thou art, to dust returnest,
Was not spoken of the soul.” (Psalm of Life)
  

Well, one could resort to all sorts of natural, artificial, and modern remedies to slow down the aging process or cover it up but they could not stop the wear and tear of life as the days, months and years march on to the beat of time.

We live in a society that worships youth. And if you ask me how does it feel to be 60, I say I’m proud of it, because God’s grace and faithfulness had sustained me all these years, and like the good Apostle I know the inward man is being renewed. “For in Him we live and move and have our being.”(Acts 17:28)

Sixty is the age where you reach the point that the many things which which you thought you wanted no longer appear important and the things you did not care about, are.

Thank you for all the heart warming and wonderful greetings. 

God Bless you and a Happy New Year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment